We left Dielette at 06.30h to have enough water under the keel and hit the Alderney Race at the turn of tide.
The sea was flat, with just 5 kts of wind on the nose. So we motor sailed to the the Race, and powered on through to the channel at up to 11kts.
With tide in our favour we made sold speed eastward, making 50 miles in 7hrs. But when the tide turned the pace dropped with the wind and the engine employed for the final 20 miles.
Arrivng at the Solent the wind had dropped off completely, we had a really calm motor on mirror flat water, we entered Southampton Water at about 21.00h and finally arrived at Hythe 22.00, with 104 miles behind us.
This was to be the last voyage for our two furry ship mates, as they are to travel back to the UK by car and recognised carrier, as it is against the law to repatriate dogs on private vessels.
We left Granville Harbour in a bit of a blow, and short chop over the shallow water. The temperature had dropped by half to 15c Which was bit of a shock. We had a 50 mile passage north, through shallow water and rocky reefs, that would require some precise navigation, a task not helped with the conditions.
It got worse, the sea got angry, the wind blew harder and it was right on the nose, so the engine remained on until we were able to escape the clutches of the Normandy coast.
As we ventured further north the wind continued BFT 4-5, but backed from NW to W which allowed the sails to take full power and engine off. We made good progress with tide for the next 5 hrs, but inevitably the tide turned and we were battling against 3kts, but at least the sea flattened and we were sailing.
After 10 hrs of rocking and rolling we arrived at the Cap de Flamaville, and the port of Dielette.
The Port is a remote half comercial and half marina, although neither seemed to be doing much trade. Dielette also has a drying entrance which made timing essential HW +-3 hrs to have sufficient water under the keel.
Saturday, and the wind has increased to BFT 5-6, a bit gloomy but the sun is forecast for later. Josh & Sally arrive today to collect Jim & Taff, we hope the weather improves for them.
The weather didn’t improve or worsen, still blowing BFT4 increasing to 5/6 at times, but made little difference as our new arrivals were glad to be on their holibobs.
Sunday we took the car to Carteret, a small Harbour we had passed by as only a few miles from Dielette. Lovely little Harbour, wished we’d gone there instead really as a bit more to see and do!
Time came to say our goodbyes to Jim & Taff, quite an emotional time having your shipmates drive away.
Decided to delay our departure for England until Monday 06.30h as the weather looked more appealing, didn’t fancy Alderney Race wind over tide at dusk.
Mr Blue Sky bid farewell to Hendrix and crew as they set sail for the Guernsey and then on home to Brixham, a forecast of strong wind at the end of the week forced an early retirement.
Mr Blue Sky on the other hand set a course ENE for the Isles of Chausey, a small rocky Island ten miles WNW off the coast of Granville in Normandy. There was only 2 kts of wind so it was engine all the way, one benefit of the glass top sea was we were able to spot a pod of dolphins, and they were the largest we’d seen to date.
Chausey is nothing more than a few fishermans cottages similar to a Scottish Croft, a Hotel and a light house. There are no motorised vehicles, just Shanks Pony for transport.
With a twelve metre tide flowing we were not able to stay long, so just caught a mooring bouy for lunch, then set sail for Granville, this time with some wind and boat speed of 5 kts SOG, perfect to time our approach 1.5h before high water.
Granville came into view about three miles out through the sea haze, as always a welcome sight after a day at sea.
We knew it was important to arrive at Paimpol +- 1hr high water as the approach dried to 5.5m above chart datum, so we required the 8m of neap tide to prevent grounding.
We also had to leave Tréguier no later than -1hr low water as the flood running against would make the slipping of lines and leaving the pontoon impossible.
At 09.00h we left Tréguier as planned, motored down the river into the estuary, even had a short sail until the wind died, but most importantly we were on target for arrival just before HW Tréguier 14.15h.
On the final approach rounding the wave screen we noted the lock gate was closed, a call was made on VHF CH9 to the lock master who informed us of a 10 minute wait – so we circled.
Hendrix increased the size of his circle until he strayed out of the deep water channel, you guessed it he ground to a halt. The crew of Mr Blue Sky enquiried whether he was beached, to his reply; “I’m beached broo – beached as” Mr Blue Sky… ” you’re beached broo, beached as!!
Tow rope deployed and Hendrix tugged unceremoniously back to the channel by Mr Blue Sky
After that we negotiated the lock and found a suitable berth dock side in the picturesque harbour centre, lotus grill fired up and cork popped.
Painpol is a shoppers dream, everything to keep a girl amused for hours – but that’s enough about that.
Finaly before we leave Paimpol, if you can’t beat them join them.
We left Lezardrieux and the River Trieux, for the hop west to Tréguier which 6 miles up the River Jaudy.
Tréguier town centre is steeped in history with architecture dating back hundreds of years, we however only stepped into the Cathedral for a few moments, the rest of Saturday morning was spent in two bars and restaurant.
Tréguier is a beautiful old town well worth a visit, we will return.